Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Golden Age of Travel

It's amazing how time and experience changes one's perspectives. Remember when everyone complained about airplane food? Yuck! Another chicken dinner! I'd rather eat my shoe! But, when was the last time you were served a meal on a flight? It's been so long for me that I can't even remember (obviously, I don't fly 1st class).

Flying Aeromexico today non-stop to Mexico City was a real travel treat, even a luxury, by most standards frequent flyers experience now. First, on only one previous trip south was I lucky enough to go direct. Not stopping in New York, Atlanta, or Houston makes a long day of travel just a bit easier. Second, this morning's flight isn't even one-third full. I am enjoying the pleasure of an entire row to myself. No leg cramps on this 5 1/2 hour flight! Yes, I'm stretched out across all three seats! Finally, a full lunch was served! What a treat to sit here with chicken in front of me and a glass of complimentary wine in my hand. A shot of a tequila reposado will help me get ready for a nap before landing. Considering how much one typically pays for overcrowded flights nowadays, this trip has started out on a very positive note. To quote Zac Brown, "Ah, life is good today, life is good today!"

Flying into the city, I'm reminded of how many people live in Mexico City. In the capital area more than 20 million people call it home. From the air, it become quickly clear as one flies over the greater Mexico City area just how crowded and expansive it is. The developments seem to go on and on and on.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment