Friday, March 22, 2013

Pozole To Die For!

My brother has suggested that I should have called my blog "Mexico City: One Taco At A Time." Now, there's a modicum of truth to his keen observation. Therefore, today, I broke with my 'apparent' pattern and went in search of the best bowl of pozole in town. And, I believe I found it! There are many pozolerias to choose from. I went with a recommendation from my Good Food in Mexico City guide and headed back to the Santa Maria de Ribera neighborhood to find La Casa de Toño. Although this appears to be a chain, I am pleased to say that the pozole rojo lived up to the hype.

A Large Bowl of Pozoze Rojo

This large bowl of pozole cost only $43MEX or about $3.50US. Add a nice cold glass of horchata to drink and the highly recommended flan de la abuela (I like to translate this as Grandma Zeta's flan) for desert and you have a whole meal.

A Memory From Childhood - Grandma Zeta's Flan

Although I didn't have to wait for a table, by the time I left (and I wasn't hurried), the wait looked substantial. The beautiful 19th century building housing the restaurant is a treat in and of itself. High ceilings and mural painted walls create a relaxing environment for a meal anytime of day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment